Last month Justin and I built a stage. I got it in my head that I wanted a stage. I wanted to use it for our annual neighborhood Halloween event and other things.  When I get something in my head I become pretty determined to make it happen. I casually shopped for a few months online looking for used stages on Craigslist or buying one new online. They all turned out to be hugely expensive. Who knew stages were so expensive?? Even the used stages were selling for several thousand dollars. I wanted to spend a lot less than that- like 10% of what I was finding for online prices. I then started thinking maybe we could build one. I began researching online how to build a stage and found quite a few options. I wanted something I could take apart and it would fit in my SUV. I also needed it to be light enough for me to pick up. I wanted it to be able to be stored flat against our garage wall too. Not asking too much, right? Well, amazingly, I found plans for such a stage on a forum for drummers. It was instructions on how to build a platform for a drummer- essentially the same thing as a basic stage. There were dozens of comments on the forum from people who built this same stage or something similar. We used their plans and tweaked it a little to our needs. Here is a link to the forum:

Here is a screen from their website to give you an idea of how the stage is built:


Our stage is essentially built from one large 4′ by 8′ sheet of plywood that was cut in half (to make it easy to store and lift) and homer buckets underneath. Pretty ingenious who ever thought of using homer buckets. They are simply the Home Depot buckets used for paints, construction, etc. I purchased a 10 pack of the buckets with lids from their website for $28. The lids of the buckets are attached to the bottom of the stage. The buckets are attached to the lids when you are ready to use the stage. The buckets stack nicely for storage when not in use.

Here is the supply list I got from one of the forums:


We spent approximately $175 to build our stage, which included fabric and Velcro for the stage skirting, and self stick squares of carpeting for the top of the stage. I made the skirt myself. It had to be 24′ around. I used basic cotton fabric from Hobby Lobby (on sale of course) and then sewed Velcro to the top of the fabric. I used a staple gun to adhere the other side of the Velcro around the edge of the stage. This makes it very easy to remove the skirt when not being used. Here is a link to the carpeting we used. Amazon had the best deal I could find:

I laid the stage tops out in the yard one afternoon while the twins napped. Brielle helped me apply the carpet squares. It was quick and easy!


Overall it wasn’t that difficult of a project to do. Not too time consuming at all. This is a perfect stage to make for teens or young adults who play in a band. Also perfect for neighborhood events and all my community actitivies. Here is our stage in use at the Halloween event last month:

I am happy to say that it only takes up a small amount of space in the garage (considering its size). The two plywood tops lay flat against the wall and the buckets are right next to them neatly stacked. The step stool we used on Halloween and the stage skirt both fit inside the top bucket. I am happy how this project turned out and how easy it was to complete!